Saturday 1 March 2014

Hello World!


 
After years - literally years of badgering from girlfriends I have decided to put fingers to keyboard and start writing about one of my great loves - fashion.  Not the cat walk, latest and greatest off the pages of American or British Vogue sort of fashion.  But the sort that is reasonably affordable, really comfortable, fun and above all makes us feel better!  the sort of fashion that makes you go, "humm how is it that some people always good great".

So how did this all start?  With the ultimate insult from one of my nearest and dearest...  “You know who I mean - the one that always looks mumsy”

This was a statement my husband first made when we were sitting in a café  (DINKS of the highest proportion at that stage) and he was talking about a mutual friend.  Now almost 9 years on, two children, a wealth of life changing experiences and now put in that situation my husband knows to choose a number of OTHER words to describe people we know.  But it did make me wonder; what leads our husbands, mothers, friends (or not so friends!) to describe people as “mumsy”?????  And the second part to that has to be why does it hurt so much!

For me “mumsy” is the epitome of how I DON’T want to look.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids, 10 years of marriage, pregnancy, child birth and walking through the minefield that is raising 2 children has challenged me more than any of my previous career situations!  I am in constant in awe of what mothers can and will do every single day.  And in even more awe of mothers who do this AND work full time.  I just don’t want to look as tired, exhausted, stretched, bewildered, stressed as I feel!

I have thought deep and hard whether this is because I want to mask these feelings to other mothers – some of whom see motherhood as a competition…  but no.  I just want to look as good as I can to give me that extra edge – for my own personal gratification – to face the challenges of every day life.  This is for me, not my kids, not my husband, not anyone else.
What ever your reason, the challenge lies there.  How on earth do we find functional clothes that can withstand the occasional vomit or brush with a slightly wet painting that your child wants to bring home NOW.   I have pondered this long and hard.  I have looked and looked and looked at other mums to see what they do and I think there are a few keys.  Which is why I’m entering the big scary world of blogging!

I’m not an authority but one who loves shopping and genuinely loves to help girlfriends dress.  A bit like the breast cancer charity tag line – this is really about “looking good and feeling better”.
I hope you enjoy the tips, be inspired to make little changes and above all else get a bit of a laugh from the posts that will follow.
xA

No comments:

Post a Comment